Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Pass the Baton


Today was momentous.  Today I cut the final 3mm of yellowy blonde from my fringe.  I have fully transitioned into a proper grey haired lady.  It took 8 very difficult months. I was sort of expecting to feel jubilant but it's all rather scary.  I'm on The Other Side...

However, something has shifted.  I have PASSED THE BATON.  

What do I mean by that?  I mean I'm not playing the game anymore.  I have passed the baton to fertile women 20 years younger than me.  I have passed the baton to any woman who can still be bothered to dye their hair to try and look younger.  I have passed the baton of effort and I've settled for, well, just me.  And that is a huge relief.

I realise now that I've been in a bit of a 'let myself go' thing - not exercising like I normally do, not eating as healthily, inevitably putting on weight whilst my shaved hair was growing out the new grey.  I literally wanted to be invisable.  If I could have hibernated in a little croft in the Scottish Highlands, I would have.

Well, I don't know if it's Spring, or if it's because I've reached the end of one journey and am beginning a whole new one, but suddenly I feel much more like I want to be visable and I want to look after myself again.   So I asked The Husband to take some shots of me with my fully grey hair.

And I feel sort of ok about it....



One rather disturbing new discovery this week though.  I have been checked out by men again. No, not men in their 30s, or even 40s.  But men in their 50s and 60s AND BEYOND.  Who knew????!!!!!  It's a bit like having your dad or a teacher eyeing you up.  It doesn't help that my father in law is only 52....yeah, you work that one out.  

So yes, be warned if you transition not only do you pass the baton, you are also very clearly wearing a massive flashing grey neon sign that says: 

NOW RECEPTIVE TO INTEREST FROM MUCH OLDER MEN.

It's taking some adjustment but it's all part of me accepting that I'm not a young woman anymore, which is precisely why I've done this.  I've only got myself to blame!   



17 comments:

  1. well you do look absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look gorgeous!! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! I LOVE your style and color! And, I suspect it is not ONLY older men checking you out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, and you will experience the same reaction from people as I did.... compliments! I blogged about it myself: http://worththewhisk.com/2011/08/30/i-have-gray-hair/ Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you look absolutely fabulous. Good on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to my natural gray about ten years ago, but relented and went back to golden brown. Then two years ago, I decided to go blonde, but none of my hairdressers would do it as they said I had deposited too much color into my hair. So I have been doing it gradually by myself! I used semi-permanent hair color and slowly went lighter and lighter. I am now almost platinum blonde and have been for a year. The blonde lightly colors my now white, silver, and darker colors. However.......now I feel like I can transition to my natural white and gray and be comfortable! I will be 60 next year.....and am now a grandmother to almost 9 beautiful grandchildren. So it is a better time to naturally show my colors and be the grandma that I am!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog! That second photo is just amazing, and you look beautiful. Of all the photos, you are MOST beautiful with your natural salt & pepper hair. I love it. I'm turning 40 in December of this year and I'm already contemplating letting my grey hair grow in. I never thought I'd do it so soon. I'm so tired of fighting it (my hair is naturally a very dark brow) and frankly I'm a bit annoyed that society makes us feel as though we are no longer sexy, beautiful, etc once we go grey. I'm partly motivated by the simple fact that my natural hair may serve a giant middle finger in the face of those misconceptions. lol ;) Thanks for being bold and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you? I'd love to feature you in my blog. :)

      Delete
  8. I've been coloring my hair since I was 12. Last year I started growing out the color and last month the very last was cut off. Who knew that I have dark brown hair with LOTS of grey hi-lights! I love the shininess of it but the other day I caught sight of my neck in the mirror...OMG! when did THAT happen? I'm 55 but, I don't know if I can handle both grey hair AND a crepey neck. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  9. This morning, my talented hairdresser son suggested ever-so-delicately that I "begin my transition." He is coming the day after Christmas, so I have six days to chicken out. But then I stumbled upon your blog... You have inspired me by EMBRACING it - stunningly I might add! I will buy scarves for this lovely neck of mine, and live the next chapter of life FREE of Loreal Excellence and root cover-ups. I will embrace my shiny silver self and PASS THAT BATON! I'm still trying to figure out that father-in-law thing... do tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry I haven't replied until now. Did youdo it? Xx

      Delete
  10. I retired a year and a half ago so I decided to let my hair go gray. It took me about 6 months and a final short haircut to do this. I am thrilled with the results and as an added bonus I now have wash and wear hair! Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I , too, decided a couple of months ago to let my hair go grey for all of the reasons you mention . Reading your blog was like you had read my thoughts exactly. I felt it was time to grow into my age and let go the idea that I was fooling anyone by dying my hair that I was not now middle aged. And it is extremely liberating and sexy. I now love the colour and look forward to all of my hair being beautifully silver ( unlike you I wasn't brave enough to start again) you look amazing !! Well done.... And attention from silver foxes is not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look great! Love your cut! I haven't gotten up the nerve yet to go grey, but you have definitely inspired me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy I found your blog! Have only read this post but so far but can already tell that it will help me from running to get a box of color - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy I found your blog! Have only read this post but so far but can already tell that it will help me from running to get a box of color - thank you!

    ReplyDelete