Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Unlikely Role-Models Part Deux: Men

Unlikely Role-Models Part Deux:  Men



Now, while there appear to be an explosion of websites, facebook groups, and blogs written by women, like me, for women like me going on and on and on about how hard the transition to grey is blah blah blah, there is one group of people, quite a large group  of people who are just quietly getting on with it. 

Men.

I like to think of myself as a feminist in the most basic sense that it means equality between the sexes.  Well in my book, that means it’s a two way street.  I know it’s not often us modern female types admit that we can learn something from men, but I’m suggesting this is one coming of age problemo that they appear to be coping with a lot better than us.  I repeat.  They are just GETTING ON WITH IT.

In an average week, I can think of many men who I meet and who I know who are getting on with it.  Chaps who have effortlessly glided into greydom without a care. Here are some of them:
The chef from Birdies where I worked when I was 20 
The  Rugby coach and several rugby Dads
The lovely man in the grocers.
The BF's hubby - A Captain of Industry.
The brickie - my Mother in Law's main squeeze who has been described as a 'Silverback'. 
Oh yeah, and the ex-husband, but I think that might have been my fault...

There is one massive reason why men seem to be apparently impervious to going grey.  It is because there is something else they are far more terrified of.  

Going bald. 

Do a test – go up to the first grey guy you see with a full head of hair and ask him if he minds being grey.  I bet a million defunct hair follicles he’ll say ‘Hell nooo!  At least I’m not bald yet!’

My darling dad and darling husband are both challenged in this department.  They both lost their hair in their early 20s, and while I’m sure it was awful, both of them admit it helped them get to the I DONT CARE stage much quicker.  They both decided I AM BALD, THEREFORE I AM, shaved it off and haven’t had to worry about what happens on the top of their heads, besides hat choice, ever since.  Phew.  Much worse to have glorious hair until you are 50, then see it thinning, so I’m told.  I applaud bald men!  And there’s us just worrying about a few grey hairs – PAH!
 
So because I’m celebrating the honesty of the silver foxes and the bravery of our bare headed heroes, and because, at a resting level, I’ve got a bit of a cruel streak, we’re going to have a little look at some fellas who are SO INSECURE they have made some dreadful hair decisions in the name of youth and vanity.  Enjoy.


Elton.  This is a double whammy - hair transplant AND fake fawn colour.  Money does not buy you cool Elton.  Uh-huh! 


Nicolas Cage.  Ok, so the pressures of being a Hollywood badboy when you're old enough to be a grandad must be quite extreme, so let's cut him a bit of slack.  But Robert De Niro didn't succumb...


Martin Sheen. – I love him, and thank god, it does look as though the dear boy has put away the ginger dye.  Come on man!  You brought down Colonel Kurtz!



Donald Trump – PPHHHOOOOAAAAWWWWWRRRRRR!!!!!!


Al Pacino – looking a little like an old lady with a bouffant.





David Cameron – our unelected Prime Minister.  Don’t tell me being shackled to old Clegg nuts hasn’t brought on a few grey ones Dave!


Brad Pitt – it must be hard to let go Braddykins, especially when you have HER.  But you aren’t fooling any of us.  I can tell a mile off when hair has been even slightly meddled with.  The boy is conflicted. The beard says it all...

And just to slightly redress the balance.  Here is one of my heros -  from 80s/90s punk band Siouxsie and the Banshees, now producing weird, spooky and wonderful scores for films.  Still so rock 'n' roll despite the years and the because of the silver.  Steve Severin.  Love love love.

Men,  ignore the lads above and carry on JUST GETTING ON WITH IT!!


Steve Severin










3 comments:

  1. Here, here! *raises her glass*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can guarantee to laugh out loud each post of yours I read. You didn't have me at "hell nooooo", you had me at "Donald Trump"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One such treatment is using hair colors and dyes. But some of these treatments are harsh on hair and you might want to choose for other Natural Remedies for Gray Hair Treatment. Here’s how to get rid of grey hair naturally and quick.

    ReplyDelete