Thursday, 10 July 2014

Facing the Fear - Getting a Cut

As some of you may know, I didn't like hairdressers.  It's not hairdressers as people - they're quite a jolly bunch I've found.  I'm not sure I could be that friendly all day.  That's why I'm a teacher.  I get to legitimately be stern and moody most of the time.  It suits.

No, it's the bad past experiences I couldn't get over.  That's why I stopped visiting the hairdresser and rather disasterously 'cut' my own hair for about seven years.


It took a lot of guts to finally go back to a hairdresser and admit I needed professional help.  Luckily, I had one recommended to me by a trusted friend and I first met Paul at HQ in Tankerton in October 2013.  He cuts the hair of Clio Barnard who is an amazing Film Director.  My students will be studying her work next year (if I get any work).  See this BFI interview with her if you like gritty Social Realist British film - The Selfish Giant.




My biggest fear was that he would try and convince me to dye it.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  The first time I went, the owner made his own client come over and look at my hair.  I told her all about Going Gray, Looking Great and about Kama's 1000 Silver Women meet up planned for 2015 and she seemed really inspired.

I told Paul I wanted to grow my hair long, so he just cuts it each time to look alright as it gets longer.  I'm not in a hurry.  I'd rather have nice blunt ends and hair in good nick than not have it cut for a year. To give it a chance to get longer, he's told me to leave it 4-5 months between visits.

The bike ride home totally ruined my blow dry!

So - thanks Paul and the chaps at HQ - you've totally restored my faith in (good) hairdressers!  Yay!

Here's a couple of shots of my new cut once I'd got off the bike and brushed it!

Just a little lower than shoulder length

At the annoying 'goes inside your collar' length - but I can put it up now!

See you all soon!  Ta raa!

By the way silver sisters - here's my new website.  Take a look and see what I've been up to and what I've got planned.  AliDilnutt

2 comments:

  1. One such treatment is using hair colors and dyes. But some of these treatments are harsh on hair and you might want to choose for other Natural Remedies for Gray Hair Treatment. Here’s how to get rid of grey hair naturally and quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like coffee tea is a Natural Treatment for Gray Hair, black tea can help you go darker, and can also help cover gray hairs. If you have lighter hair, however, there are other types of tea you can use. Chamomile, for instance, is suggested for blondes, while rooibos may work for redheads.

    ReplyDelete